Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman Leo Lichtman is offline

Default Turning a Table Pedestal

"Jerry - OHIO" (clip)Than devide 360 by 16 and use that number as angle to
set your saw. (clip)
In principle, yes. 360 divided by 16 = 22.5 degrees. If your saw setting
is off by half a degree, the cumulative error is 8 degrees. I think that is
where Ironspike is having trouble--how to set the saw so the pieces fit
together with no visible error.

For a segmented bowl I can see why you would want 16 segments, or even more.
But, the more segments, the more the error multiplies. And I can't see the
need for 16 segments for a pedestal. 8 ought to be plenty, or even 6. With
6, a half degree error on the saw would be only 3 degrees cumulative.