Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiki: Backup power

In article ,
On 2008-07-31, wrote:
On Jul 31, 3:34*am, wrote:

Another one for your welcome input.... an intro to the backup power
options

OK, version 2... and hopefully the last version.

Sorry, but would it be worth mentioning that many gas hobs will not operate
without mains power, the gas is cut off as a safety measure if the igniter
circuit is unpowered?

Could expand into consideration of appliances which will run
without electricity, if you are in an area particularly prone
to power cuts.

I have a Main gas multipoint water heater which still gives me
infinite hot water when the power's off, and I did have gas
wall heaters, some of which work with no electricity.

Thanks - will mention that.

Pete Verdon:

Interesting, but curiously lacking in details of actually making the
thing. I assume one simply dips the carbon and steel electrodes in a pot
of salty water and obtains a voltage across them? How salty should the
water be?

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realise more explanation was
needed. Yes, its as simple as that, with several cells hooked in
series. Salt concentration? I don't know, I just stuck a pinch in and
it was fine. Its not critical.

Another poster:

these are more usually called "iron
air" batteries.

And here's how to make one;

http://www.miniscience.com/projects/airbattery/

That's something different, related but different. And I note the
author seems to have had a lot of trouble getting a most simple cell
to work, has chosen some fairly inappropriate materials for it, and
given it a wrong name.

NT