Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22222 Ignoramus22222 is offline

Default Had a "smash and grab" accident today

On 2008-08-01, SteveB toquerville@zionvistas wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message
ter.com...

On 2008-08-01, Rob Fraser FraserRacing wrote:
Welcome to Illinois....
Last summer I was cutting down a tree in front of my girlfriends
house
in an exclusive neighborhood of the area. (Houses start around 1.5 mil)
had a Sthil 088Magnum. a 066 Magnum and a 046 and pole pruner saw and
axes,
etc. out there by the curb where the tree was. I went inside to take a
quick **** and I came out and all my gear was gone. To make matters
worse,
State Farm insurance (My carrier) would not cover the loss as it was
not on
my property and hers would not cover it as it was not her property.
minimum of a $3500.00 loss I had to swallow.

People are ****ing **** today. You can't leave your car unlocked,
you
can't leave your house unattended and you can't protect yourself to
boot.

Sorry Rob. Very sad, much worse than my damage.

I actually keep a knife in my truck next to me just in case, at all
times, but it cannot help much when I am NOT in the truck.

You should move to a state where you can keep something better than a
knife with you. Recent TX law expressly allows you to carry a handgun in
your vehicle, camper, RV, or similar without a permit. You do need to
get a CHL if you want to carry it outside your vehicle of course.

Trouble is, Iggy would have been in deep doo doo if someone broke into his
truck and took a gun. Probably more trouble than the person who stole it.

It's a sad state of affairs. Maybe when some more states relax these laws,
and more bad guys just get shot in the forehead, some of this will abate.

I doubt it, though, as long as we have liberals. (A liberal is a
conservative that hasn't been raped or robbed YET.)

I did not have a gun in the truck. Sometimes I would have one, but
rarely. But I had plenty of fun stuff that the thief did not notice
because he was in a hurry. $800 camera, a bunch of ammo, a "buck
knife" that I keep next to my seat etc. None of that was taken,
fortunately. The thief did not even notice cash in the pocket of the
driver's door. I am going to do some cleanup.

Years ago when I did CNC service the company car was broken into. They
didn't take anything apparently because they couldn't figure out what
anything was. The shipping case with the granite square in it must have
been particularly confusing.

Thieves would probably take "gold plated" carbide endmills but not
"dark grey plated" etc.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/