Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiki: Backup power

In article ,
Huge writes:

You should be running software to monitor the UPS and gracefully shut down the
machine when the batteries start to run down.

APC provide a (vast, poorly documented, hideous) piece of software for their

Been there, tried that. It was responsible for more system downtime
than the mains failures, completely defeating the object of running
the UPS! Oh, and you forgot mention security vulnerabilities.
Maybe it got better in the 10 years since I last tried it?

Solaris normally has no problem just pulling the power cord
(particularly a server which is not very busy because most of its
clients lost their power already), so I ditched the software and
just let system die when battery ran flat. That always worked fine!

UPS's, but I strongly recommend the Open Source Network UPS Tools, instead;

http://eu1.networkupstools.org/

http://www.csociety.org/~delpha/winnut/

--
Andrew Gabriel