Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] Dan_Thomas_nospam@yahoo.com is offline

Default Had a "smash and grab" accident today

On Jul 31, 4:30 pm, Wes wrote:

No, that is the true violence of someone breaking into your home or vehicle. One never
feels as secure again. But some libtard judge would likely view it as a petty crime if
the criminal is apprehended.

Canada isn't much different from the US in terms of crime
rates. A conservative newspaper here in Canada has a columnist named
Lorrie Goldstein, who makes some really good points. Here's today's
article, from http://www.torontosun.com/News/Colum...316061-sun.php

Stats Are a Crime: The Real Numbers on Canada's Crime Tell a Shocking
Story

Today let's take a break from the BS we're being fed about global
warming to examine the BS we're being fed about crime statistics.

Specifically, about how "low" they are today compared to the past, how
anyone who believes otherwise is paranoid and how the best way to make
the crime rate even lower is to go even softer on criminals than we
already are.

First, let's examine what the crime rate actually is compared to years
ago, as opposed to what we've been told it is.

Here are some figures you probably didn't see widely quoted in the
media earlier this month when Statistics Canada released its 2007 data
on falling Canadian crime rates.

- First, violent crime is up 320% since 1962, when modern records
first started being kept.

- Second, property crime, which many victims don't even bother to
report anymore, is nonetheless up 75%.

- Third, the overall crime rate is up 152%.

What, you say? You've been told, ad nauseam, by soft-on-crime
politicians, media, criminal lawyers and prisoners' rights groups that
crime has been going down for years?

You've been told people who think as you do -- that our streets aren't
as safe as they used to be -- are suffering from paranoid delusions
fuelled by right-wing politicians and irresponsible media?

Okay, let's look at the actual numbers from Statistics Canada.

Canada has been keeping uniform crime statistics since 1962.

- In that year, there were 221 reported violent crimes per 100,000
population. Last year there were 930 -- a 320% increase in the crime
rate compared to 1962.

- There were 1,891 property crimes per 100,000 population in 1962,
3,320 in 2007, a 75% increase.

- The overall crime rate was 2,771 incidents per 100,000 people in
1962, 6,984 last year, a 152% increase.

Any graph that accurately tracks crime rates shows a steep increase
throughout the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s, peaking around 1991, then
falling relatively slowly ever since.

The key word is slowly. While it's true the crime rate has been
decreasing since 1991, it has never returned to anywhere near the far
lower rates of 45 years ago, particularly for violent crime, the
category law-abiding people most care about.

No one knows why the crime rate peaked around 1991, not just in
Canada, but the U.S.

Some argue it was due to the gradual aging of the giant baby boomer
generation, particularly young males who, as a group, commit most
crime. Another controversial theory cites the increasing availability
of abortions, meaning fewer unwanted, neglected children.

Whatever happened, the hug-a-thug crowd today uses the relatively
small post-1991 drop in the crime rate to argue that since crime is
going down, we don't need to toughen laws or impose stiffer sentences.
In fact, they say, we should do the reverse.

Nonsense. One could just as easily argue the skyrocketing crime rate
we experienced throughout the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s to levels which
essentially still exist today for violent crime, was the result of the
soft-on-crime attitude of both federal Liberal and Progressive
Conservative governments.

REHABILITATING OFFENDERS

That attitude was best summed up in a 1971 speech to Parliament by
then Liberal solicitor-general Jean-Pierre Goyer. Complaining about
the high costs of keeping criminals incarcerated, he said: "The
present situation results from the fact that (the) protection of
society has received more emphasis than the rehabilitation of inmates.
Consequently, we have decided from now on to stress the rehabilitation
of offenders, rather than the protection of society."

Yes, you read that right.

Remember it the next time someone from the hug-a-thug crowd tries to
tell you the crime rate is down.