Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default OT - Sam's Club warranties?

On 2008-07-31, Al Patrick wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Did you read that extended warranty before you bought it? They all
exclude something. Also, they are usually offered by a third party, not
the retailer. Their obligation ends with the OEM warranty. Anything
during the extended warranty has to come from the company providing the
warranty service

You never gave a model number, or battery size. If it is a single 12
VDC or two 6 VDC in series you can test it with a car battery. You can
pull a 12 VDC 17 AH gel cell out of one of the portable car starting
battery packs for about $60. Lower, if you catch them on sale.

[ ... ]

I haven't even opened the case. The lights indicate it is the battery. I'd have to get
into it to determine the voltage. Been busy. Don't know when I'll get around to it. It
is the Back UPS Pro 1100 volt amp. by APC.

Batteries are a "consumable" in UPSs -- just like in
flashlights. You can't expect it to be covered by a warranty unless the
warranty costs as much as the replacement cost of the battery.

I run three BEST Power Systems UPS' (no longer in business, but
they made really good UPS, so I've bought them used from hamfests and
eBay -- look for the "Ferrups" model. Mine are 2KVA (four 12V Auto
sized 80 AH gel cells in series), 1.4 KVA (one 12V 80 AH Auto sized gell
cell), and one 700 VA (a smaller 12V gel cell (34 AH), but larger than
the smallest common size such as used in the 400VA APC).

I've also got one 400VA APC, and I don't consider it to be
nearly the UPS that the ones from BEST are.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564