Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default condensate pump for dehumidifier?

Nate Nagel writes:

I still am not 100% satisfied with the LG's - when recovering from a
power failure, if the power has been out for more than a few seconds,
the dehumidifier will revert to "on" mode rather than whatever humidity
selection you'd set on it. So it should probably be unplugged in the
wintertime, when dehumidification is not required or desirable.

Coincidentally, I found some refurbished "GE" brand dehumidifiers last
weekend. They were $100 for a 30 pt/day unit with electronic controls.
The first one ran but produced no cooling and thus no water - probably
no refrigerant in the system. I expect that was why it was originally
returned for service, and the service place didn't catch the problem
or refilled it without fixing the leak.

I exchanged it and the second one seems fine. The manual for these
claims that if the power goes off and comes back on, it continues
operating with all of its previous settings (after waiting for a 3
minute restart delay). So it must store the on/off status plus the
humidity setting in non-volatile memory.

The unit does have a "continuous run" mode, but normal operation is
on-demand based on the humidistat. When the humidity drops low enough,
the compressor shuts down, then the fan a few minutes later. The fan
definitely does not run forever.

Dave