Posted to alt.home.repair
jackj jackj is offline

Default A/C electrical problem

On Jul 31, 12:57 pm, jackj wrote:
On Jul 31, 10:03 am, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,

albee wrote:
On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 06:37:13 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
albee wrote:

Thanks; I do have a multimeter. Not completely sure how to USE it, but
I have it

I have to say I find this common, and yet very odd. Why would you have a
tool that you don't know how to use? A basic understanding of simple
circuit fundamentals and ohm's law can be acquired in an hour by anyone
of modest intelligence. That knowledge in hand, the meter actually
becomes useful in diagnostics.

Too often in this group we see people rattling off long lists of
"readings" they got from various wires in various combinations,
inquiring as to what it all means. They wrestle with a mental plate of
spaghetti, feigning helplessness. Isn't it easier to just arm yourself?
Well, I do have a modicum of intelligence, but I have tried (maybe not
enough) but I have thought the same thing, and did read up on using
it. THe other problem is how OFTEN your average homeowner needs to use
it, you forget what you may have learned.

With respect and compassion, perhaps you misunderstand. It isn't the
meter instructions you need to study. Learn something about electric
circuit fundamentals. Then the usage of the meter will be a total
no-brainer. And electric circuit fundamentals are so damn simple that
it'd be impossible to forget them over time.

The common fallacy is: If I buy a multimeter, I'll be able to do my own
electrical repairs. That's putting the cart before the horse. You can't
fix something you don't understand, regardless of the contents of your
toolbox.

Okay, I'll try to address that. Truly, But I'm going on vacation in 6
hours, and would like to rectify this problem. Obviously you know the
answer. Would you be so kind as to inform me of it, this time, as I'm
a bit harried packing, etc. and want to get a new contactor in before
we go. I appreciate it. Thanks.

And to clarify what my current question is, I'll copy the specs below.
In short, does it matter which of these I use, or more specifically,
is the one, I believe "rated" higher, better. Or should I get the
lower one. Thanks.
I have one in my hand which could be the one I just had on that
failed, or the one from a year ago, and the one that I just bought,
both have these specs on them (the 180 under LRA could be 160; so
small!):

24 VAC

VAC FLA LRA RES
240/277 40 240 50
480 40 200 50
600 40 180 50

Now, I looked at the one I have on it right now, which could be the
one that failed or one that had quickly failed a year ago (either way,
the same performance), but that I cleaned up and is running it now,
has these specs. I THINK this is the one that was on most recently,
because it has a cover, of sorts, over it, which I think they've added
more recently.

40A Definite Purpose Contact
24 VAC
120 VAC
240 VAC

VAC FLA LRA RES
277 40 240
480 32 200 60 or 80
600 25 160

Now, the one they started to give me at the parts store, the best that
I can recall, had FLA ratings of 30 and RES ratings of 40. The guy
said that this was the max, so that this one, (which is the same as I
had on it) was better. Would any of these specs cause there to be too
much resistance, and hence a weaker voltage and the problem?