Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Sam's Club warranties?

Al Patrick wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Al Patrick wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Did you read that extended warranty before you bought it? They all
exclude something. Also, they are usually offered by a third party, not
the retailer. Their obligation ends with the OEM warranty. Anything
during the extended warranty has to come from the company providing the
warranty service

You never gave a model number, or battery size. If it is a single 12
VDC or two 6 VDC in series you can test it with a car battery. You can
pull a 12 VDC 17 AH gel cell out of one of the portable car starting
battery packs for about $60. Lower, if you catch them on sale.

Even if it is 24 volts, cheaper batteries are available. All the UPS
batteries I've replaced where made in Japan or China. Several people
sell the OEM brands & types on E-bay. BTW, the first sign the battery
is bad is bulging sides where it has overheated. Then the terminals
develop leaks, and corrode the connections. I have found several where
the lead is completely gone, and the terminal is hanging from the now
disconnected wire. If I remove the battery door from an APC UPS and the
battery won't slide out, I know that has failed.

I haven't even opened the case. The lights indicate it is the battery. I'd have to get
into it to determine the voltage. Been busy. Don't know when I'll get around to it. It
is the Back UPS Pro 1100 volt amp. by APC.

It is APC type RBC6 wich is a pair of 12 VDC 12 AH gel cells. They
aren't hard to find, at reasonable prices.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/estore/search.asp?details=1&mscssid=PHBXCNS0GRXL9MF6U952F 8DM8DD14DXE&Ntt=RBC6&N=0&Dx=mode+matchboolean&part _number=SLA3075&Nty=0&D=RBC6&Nu=Part+Number&Ntx=mo de+matchboolean&part_desc=24V+12AH+SLA+W%2FFUSE+%2 D+Sealed+Lead+Acid&Ns=product+Type%7C0%7C%7CRank%7 C1&Ntk=SearchGroup#AlsoFits

If that link doesn't work, go to the Interstae Battery website and
search on RBC6.
http://www.interstatebatteries.com

http://www.google.com/search?q=RBC6+&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLD
is a goog;e search for RBC6. I think I have four of that model that
need batteries, but they were free so they are in storage, till somone
wants a decent UPS.

It will still cost about $100 plus shipping for a pretty heavy item.

You should be able to find them locally, and avoid shipping. These
are one of the most common sizes, but make sure they use the same lugs.

What if I went to
the local auto parts place and picked up a couple of lawn mower type batteries - even if
they don't fit into the enclosure - would this charger, etc. work on the lead acid batteries?

lawn mower batteries are not gelled. They will release corrosive
fumes inside your home or office. Look around for a cheap product with
the battery you need and gut it. A lot of newer UPS designs are not made
to run very long before overheating. The one you have has more heat
sinking than cheaper models. If this is in your shop, you could use
regular car or garden tractor batteries , as long as you vent them
outside.

PS: If you think UPS batteries are expensive, look at the prices on
replacements for electric wheelchairs. $250 & up, plus shipping. They
aren't much different, but there is almost no competition in the
medical market.

Another approach is to find a similar UPS that was damaged by
lightning and salvage the batteries. Some security companies replace
their gel cells on a set schedule. I used to get at least a half dozen
good, free, used batteries every month from someone who maintained bank
equipment & ATMs.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Sporadic E is the Earth's aluminum foil beanie for the 'global warming'
sheep.