Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Dishwasher hookup leak

Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jul 30, 3:00 pm, Nil wrote:

I have two elbow fittings. The one that's in there now I bought
when
I thought I was going to use 3/8" copper tube and a compression
fitting. I changed my mind and bought a flexible braided tube kit,
so I could more easily work on the unit with it pulled away from
the
cabinet. That kit came with an elbow.

Now that you mention it, the kit elbow DOES look slightly tapered,
although maybe not as much as the one in the picture. The other
elbow
is now installed and is screwed in hard and is not leaking, so I'm
not going to mess with it any more. I don't know if it was tapered.
But maybe this is a clue:

The installation book calls for a "90-degree elbow with 3/8" N.P.T.
external threads." The elbow I bought at the hardware store was
labeled "MPT". I asked the guy in the store if they were
equivalent,
and he said they were. Are they? Does NPT == MPT?

Two common pipe thread sizes exist, the tapered National Pipe Thread
(NPT) and the straight National Standard Free-Fitting Straight
Mechanical Pipe Thread (NPSM). The tapered threads are for joining
and
sealing, the straight threads are only for joining. The Dry-seal
thread (NPTF) allows for joining without sealants. Three less common
threads exist, the Garden Hose Thread (GHT), Fire Hose Coupling
(NST)
and British Standard Taper Pipe Thread (BSPT). The NPT and NPTF
threads are interchangeable with sealants such as PTFE tape. None of
the other thread standards are interchangeable. Female NPT threads
can
be designated as "FPT" and male NPT threads can be designated as
"MPT."

from he
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/pipethreadsizing.html

I think if you get the correct elbow you'll be fine.
check it out before you take a BFW to it and break something.

Big F-n' Wrench?

Yes. Most things can be fixed with:

WD40 - loosens
a BFW - tightens
a BFH - adjusts
duct tape - does everything else

You forgot the gray paint. Covers damage from the BFW and the BFH,
and if you put enough on maybe it will hold together until you get
transferred.

All seems well - I've got the dishwasher hooked up and have run a
few
loads. Everything is dry and seems solid. Thanks for your help.

Glad to hear all worked out.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)