Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default OT - Sam's Club warranties?

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Did you read that extended warranty before you bought it? They all
exclude something. Also, they are usually offered by a third party, not
the retailer. Their obligation ends with the OEM warranty. Anything
during the extended warranty has to come from the company providing the
warranty service

You never gave a model number, or battery size. If it is a single 12
VDC or two 6 VDC in series you can test it with a car battery. You can
pull a 12 VDC 17 AH gel cell out of one of the portable car starting
battery packs for about $60. Lower, if you catch them on sale.

Even if it is 24 volts, cheaper batteries are available. All the UPS
batteries I've replaced where made in Japan or China. Several people
sell the OEM brands & types on E-bay. BTW, the first sign the battery
is bad is bulging sides where it has overheated. Then the terminals
develop leaks, and corrode the connections. I have found several where
the lead is completely gone, and the terminal is hanging from the now
disconnected wire. If I remove the battery door from an APC UPS and the
battery won't slide out, I know that has failed.

I haven't even opened the case. The lights indicate it is the battery. I'd have to get
into it to determine the voltage. Been busy. Don't know when I'll get around to it. It
is the Back UPS Pro 1100 volt amp. by APC.