Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Magic Jack Latency Question

Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:41:37 -0800, "SteveB"
toquerville@zionvistas
wrote:

I have a dish Internet setup at my remote cabin. Sheesh, we have
Internet and HD TV, but no phone. It's a cell phone dead zone. I
tried Skype, but because of the latency problem, it would not work.
Does anyone have a Magic Jack set up on a satellite dish at a
remote
location, and if so, does it work? Anyone know if the latency
problems with VOIP units has been worked out yet?

Steve

I used to have satellite internet, and the latency was way too high
for VoIP. From what I heard, it's the upstream connection that has
the
problem. You'll be able to hear people but they can't hear you.

It's a geostationary satellite. That means a 50,000 mile trip out and
back, or _minumum_ 1/4 second latency. In the real world you put all
other sources of latency on top of that.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)