Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default What is mercury worth?

RB wrote:
Estate sale, fellow has about 5 lbs of liquid metallic mercury.
it was used as adjustable mass/weight in benchrest rifles.
Owner/heir is concerned about EPA issues etc.
But it has a value somewhere.
Do scrap metal dealers buy it?
Is there a price/lb?

It isn't worth a lot, unless you have large quantities that you can sell
to a company which purifies it. I have an almost full 76 lb flask of
mercury, which I'm going to use one day for building a real showpiece of
a barometer. Probably in an art deco style. I bought the mercury for
next to nothing. People just want to get rid of it.

It is insanely cool, though. Great fun to play with. You can float
chunks of lead in it. Pour it, play with the drops. It's especially
surprising that it has a similar viscosity to water.

You can also pretend that the flasks contain nuclear waste, which is funny.

Best wishes,

Chris