Posted to alt.home.repair
jim jim is offline

Default Dry Rot

On Jul 30, 8:44*am, Mark wrote:
I discovered a nasty case of dry rot in the sill that rides on my
foundation. *Luckily, it looks like I caught it just in time, the floor
joists are still level and the sill isn't totally shot.

So, I thoroughly wet it down with a garden hose until I have most of the
dry rot washed away. *However, I don't really know how to keep it from
coming back, other than by wetting it down every day, which I am loath to
do.

Moisture causes dry rot. Your only adding to the problem by keeping it
wet.

So, how do I keep everything from drying out and rotting again? *Can I
install some sort of drip system like gardeners use? *What do most people
use to keep their basements damp enough to prevent dry rot?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

If the dry rot cause is from an identified source (ie: grade sloping
towards house) and this has been remediated then use a fungicide
spray. A more costly and time consuming process would be to cut out
the cancer and install PT lumber.