Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Al Patrick Al Patrick is offline

Default OT - Sam's Club warranties?

One last comment (?) on this subject that I thought needed to be clarified but I didn't
want to make it too long at the time. ...Concerning the fact that the "gentleman"
*seemed* somewhat disappointed to have to tell me that I wasn't at all protected by the
"warranty" I had paid for four years ago - don't forget that Hollyweird pays people every
day to *seem* to be things they are not ! Why should we think that Wally World couldn't
or wouldn't do the same thing? Both are interested in the BOTTOM LINE and little else so
I wasn't "fooled" by his "apparent" concern! :-)

I like the comment about "insurance fraud" when folks give you a "warranty" and put it on
thermal paper so it is GUARANTEED to fade out to nothing in just a few weeks! :-)

I rest my case on this one! Thanks for all the comments.

Back ON topic, I guess.

Al

==========

on 7/29/2008 Al Patrick wrote:
Well, I got my "contact" from Sam's Club this a.m. and the gentleman
seemed somewhat disappointed at having to tell me this but....

Sam's Club can't set this up for service unless I first replace the
batteries as they are not covered. This would indicate a *different*
problem - something other than the batteries. But that is almost
certainly the problem.

Replacement batteries cost about the same as replacing the entire unit!

I *could* go back to the store and *seek* a refund on the "unused
portion" of the warranty. It would have to be prorated. I'd probably
get about $10 to $14 back, as it probably cost about $40 initially. It
would cost me about three hours and 120 miles to go back to the store
where I purchased it. Doesn't make economic sense to me. I guess I'll
trash it or save it for parts.

He got online while we talked and stated that the batteries currently
would be more than the estimated ($140) I paid for it initially.

I suppose I'll shop a little closer to home and save my Sam's Club
membership costs. The local Staples has an APC 1300 (VA) for $180 and
an APC 1500 VA / 865 Watt for $209.

I suppose it's good sense after all to save the costs of an "extended
warranty" when buying UPS's ! :-)