Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Biscuit Joinery

JacksonD wrote in
:

On Jul 28, 12:12*pm, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 28, 11:41*am, JacksonD wrote:

On Jul 28, 10:59*am, Phisherman wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:15:06 -0700 (PDT), JacksonD wrote:
On Jul 28, 9:05*am, Limp Arbor wrote:
On Jul 27, 11:27*pm, "jack" wrote:
"JacksonD" wrote in message

Ijustboughta biscuit joiner.
Need to join (salvaged) 3/4" pine boards to make kitchen
cabin

et.

What size biscuits to use?
I'm guessing #20s.
How to space them?
How far center of first biscuit from edge of board?
After that. how far to center of next one etc. ?

There is controversy over whether biscuit add strength or
not.

*I won't get
into it.

The primary use is alignment; getting your boards together
evenl

y so you
don't have to plane/sand 1/8" off to get them even. *If your

oards are
perfectly flat, 2 or 3 biscuits will be fine. *If they are
not

(and even
properly jointed and planed board can warp pretty quickly)
then

you will
need more than that to keep things reasonably even. *I can't

ell you from
here what you need. *But get them as close to the edge as
you

can because
that is where alignment is needed the most. *If the edges
will

be seen, be
careful because biscuit scars can't be hidden if you cut
through

one.

I ran out of 20s and have been using a big box of 10s I got
for

nothing at
an auction. *If you only want them for alignment, I can't
see

that it makes
a difference. *For strength... oh lets not go there.

Oh come on lets go there. *Somebody move the 'do biscuits add
strength' thread to rec.woodworking. *It will be fun.

To me the depth difference between a 10 & 20 isn't that much
so if biscuits do add strength the added strength a 20 would
give over a

10
is insignificant. *Use whatever you have.

If the edges of your boards aren't straight it won't matter
what s

ize
you use because the joint will most likely fail.- Hide quoted
text

-

If biscuits add no strength, and are solely for alignment, then
why

do
we glue them in?
Why not just let them "float"? *What is the glue on the biscuit
fo

then?

It adds *some* strength, but it is the glue that does the holding
power. *The glue on the biscuit causes the biscuit to swell
inside

the
slot helping the lock the joint in place. *For thinner stock
biscui

ts
should not be used as this may cause a raised area from the
swelling. There have been situations where I left the biscuit
float due to possible excess wood movement (eg, breadboard
ends).- Hide quoted tex

t -

Phisherman:

Please explain why breadboard end is a special case.
Thank you.

Hmmm. *It appears we have a troll on our hands. *Either that or
someone who has a modicum of knowledge and just likes to argue.

If you don't understand how a breadboard end's cross grain is a
different situation, forget the biscuits and just cut up some plywood
and iron on some edge tape.

R- Hide quoted text -

Actually, the only "breadboard" I know about is for prototyping
electronics.
My question was honest and I don't care for your suggestion.
As far as I'm concerned you (RicodJour) can lose the attitude and cut
up some plywood and put it up your ass.

RicodJour:

As far as I'm concerned you (RicodJour) can lose the attitude and cut
up some plywood and put it up your ass.

If you choose to accept, please post a vid. It would be interesting to
observe :-)