Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John G John G is offline

Default OT? Need cheap 3" diverter valve

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
I'm looking for a cheap 3" diverter valve to switch my roof rainwater
into my cistern after the roof is washed clean. Currently I'm using a
home made valve made from a 3" cross, but it's a bit stiff and I'd like
to find something better. A regular downspout diverted won't work
because the input pipe is nearly horizontal and the output to cistern is
also horizontal. The waste goes straight down, but that can be changed.

I would like to find a valve that could be operated easily by a chain or
shaft from a location 5' away. A certain amount of leakage is no
problem, we are dealing with bulk water at no pressure. The real
requirement is that it has to mate with 3" plastic DWV pipe.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Try this. they are common or I think required, to get the govmint subsidies
here in Australia.

http://www.rainharvesting.com.au/fir..._diverters.asp

They are just made from the common plastic drain pipe with a small (about
1/2 millimetre) hole in the bottom and a suitable sized plastic ball to
float up and stop surging at the top once the flo is going to the tank. It
does not matter if it leaks around the ball because the pipe is full of
water any way.

john g.