Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Holts Piston Seal

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
You know Dave, I once used some on an old Escort Estate that I had. The
compression was so low that it struggled to start at all. After putting
in the piston seal, it was like a new engine, and it lasted for a very
long time until I got rid of the motor.

I know of plenty who used it in the old days and reported some improvment
on a clapped engine - but never 'like a new engine'. But then those who
used such things didn't normally have much experience of new engines
anyway. ;-)

Whether it's still any use with
today's engines though, I wouldn't like to say.

I also know of plenty who tried it and it didn't work.

Lack of compression can be down to many different things. Used to be often
plain ol' wear and tear on bores or rings - but this is rare these days
due to far better manufacture and oils. And if some gunge applied to the
top of the piston worked so well you'd wonder why they still bother with
rings...

Ask over on

uk.rec.cars.maintenance

There's some good ol' boys on that group who are very knowledgable.

I reckon they'll say the same.

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.