Anthony

Default lathe cutting bits

(Wayne) wrote in news:51701a28.0407271631.2782c0c9
@posting.google.com:

After he left I tried my test again using the 1/64 bit. With the
steel bar it was still bigger at the headstock, but only by .001.
Using the aluminum bar it was off by .0005.

So if you are referring to being off by 0.001 diameter, it is out of
alignment by 0.0005 over 5"

On both bars after cutting toward the headstock, I left the bit
where it was, and reversed the feed toward the tailstock.
More material was cut off. When I measured them, it was only off
a few thou.

The extra material removal is from the flex in the tool/toolpost/set-up
when taking the inital cut. The information about taper when doing this
is irrelevant and unuseful due to that fact. You would need to be able
to measure the differences in the flex of the tool tip in both directions
in order to obtain any taper information.

I don't know how it could be larger at the headstock, and then
come out straight on the 2nd cut. And what good are indexable inserts
if they don't cut straight?

Once again I'm so confused.
Wayne

--