Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default What is mercury worth?

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 22:00:01 -0400, "ATP*"
wrote:

Some idiot science teacher in a local middle school sprinkled a small
amount of mercury on a lab table to show the kids how the drops roll.
That episode cost the school district a few thousand dollars in
monitoring and cleanup. If a quart of mercury was dropped, there would be
a financial disaster.

Which of course was a knee-jerk bureaucratic reaction by some asshole.

That's today's reality, whether you agree with it or not.

Back when I was a kid, we used a mixture od asbestos and plaster of
paris as a modelling "clay".Made all sorts of electrical aparatus with
mercury.
Some people think I'm crazy - mabee the "mad as a hatter" syndrome
from the mercury?????

Yes, the stuff CAN be dangerous - but the world has gone totally
overboard - anything that could POSSIBLY hurt us is controlled to the
enth degree - while WHAT IS KILLING US is largely unaddressed. (and
when "they" get around to addressing whatever that is, they'll go
overboard again, as usual)