Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney Robert Swinney is offline

Default OT - Sam's Club warranties?

This firms up my resolve to not get a Sam's Club membership. IMO, Sears has a very good warranty
program.

Bob Swinney
"Al Patrick" wrote in message
Sorry for the OT post but I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the way Sam's Club
records their warranties now.

It used to be that one didn't have to worry about keeping their warranty record because
Sam's Club could pull it right up on the screen and say, "Yep. You purchased such and such
on that day and it's good till who-knows-when...."

About a week ago I had an 1100 VA APC UPS go out and just got around to pulling it out to
get repaired or replaced. I was in no hurry as I know I'd had it awhile.

After removing the computer from the top of it I found in magic marker, "Purchased Tue.
8/3/04 @ Sam's Club w 3 yr. extended Warranty. Put into operation Wed. 8/04/04."

Not knowing the length of original warranty I figured it might still be covered, if I act
fast.

A "trip" to www.apc.com shows that model to be warrantied for 2 years so I should still
have over a year to go - with the three years extended.

However, a Sam's Club employee says their records only stay accessible for two years and
I'd have to talk with a manager to see if they have access to older info. She said to
"call the 800 number on your receipt" which I may not have saved "knowing" they'd have it
in the computer! :-( I probably *do* have it, but hate trying to locate it!

Anyway, today being Monday, the managers are in a meeting and I may be able to get one in
an hour or so, if they aren't out to lunch at that time.

Anyone know if Sam's Club still keeps even their extra-cost extended warranties in the
computer now or if the managers might have access to it? ...Or if I need to start digging
for the 800 number on the extended warranty receipt?

Thanks,

Al