Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul[_17_] Paul[_17_] is offline

Default Latch getting pushed out of strike

I found that for our main bedroom door, the problem is that the door
that the latch resides in, is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the
strike &
doorjamb. (not sure if the door shrunk over time or what). About an
1/8" or so tip of the latch barely sits in the strike when the door
closes. The other problem is, the doorjamb seems to be pushing on the
door, so that when you close the door (and you have to kind of
REALLY push on it to close for the latch to enter the strike), since
the latch isn't all the way in the strike, the counter-force from the
doorjamb pushes the door and forces the latch out of the strike
causing the door to re-open as soon as you close it.

So.. what to do? I either have to find a doorknob assembly with a
longer latch that will rest deeper in the strike or i have to find a
way to make the strike sit out further from the doorjamb? Or take the
door off the hinges and rework it so it's closer to the strike/
doorjamb? (don't like/think i need to do this last option)

Thanks in advance...