Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default A/C on one circuit causing voltage flicker on another (?)

On Jul 29, 7:05*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
wrote in message

This winter I installed a 16-circuit subpanel and rewired the second
floor. *The sub is fed from the main via a 60A 250v circuit over 6/3.
Everything has been working fine ever since, but I haven't really been
pulling much on these circuits until this week.

Today I'm noticing that when one of my window A/C's compressor kicks
on it is flicking the lights. *But these lights are on a different
circuit (same panel). *I did not expect this. *The A/C is pulling
about 10A (120v) on a 20A dedicated circuit. *Other power being drawn
from this panel includes:

-computer: ~5A on a dedicated 20A circuit
-computer and extras: ~5A on a dedicated circuit
-another A/C: ~8A on a dedicated circuit
-lights: ~? (1A maybe) on another circuit

So total I doubt I'm drawing more than 30A of 120V, so I can't be
maxing out the feed, right? *That feed should give me 96A of 120V (80%
of 60A at 240V).

So what's the deal? *Why would any lights on a different circuit
flicker when the compressor kicks on on another circuit? *To be fair,
the flicker is subtle. *It's not huge, but it's there.

thanks

The compressor may be pulling as much as 40 or 50 amps upon startup which
would cause your other circuits to be affected. *Incidentally #6 wire is
only good for 50 amps. *You should have used #4 for a 60 or 70 amp subpanel
feed.- Hide quoted text -

Technically, #6 wire is rated for 60 amps.