Posted to sci.electronics.repair
terry terry is offline

Default converting 110 v glue gun to 12 volt?

On Jul 29, 5:41*am, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article ,
* *richg99 wrote:

I have need of a portable, low-temperature glue gun for model airplane
repair in the field. Any ideas about how I would go about converting a
standard $5.00 or so ( cheap) glue gun to use with my 12 volt auto
battery. I know I can put a converter on, but , for a variety of
reasons, I'd rather not do that. *thanks, Rich

Very few of these things can be stripped to the point where you could
replace the heater element, as the low price means they're disposable. And
even if you could where would you get the correct part? I suppose you
could make the correct element - but buying the materials may prove
difficult and costly.
*I've seen rechargeable ones on sale. They would prove a better basis to
run off 12 volts via a regulator.

--
*Constipated People Don't Give A Crap*

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

How much power does it use?
That is how many watts?
Since it is glue gun it is almost 100% likley to be resistive load. So
no motors or fans etc. Soldering irons are similar.
Therfore one of those addapters used in cars to run small household
appliances from the car battery 'might' do the job?

For example our smallest glue gun uses IIRC around 24 watt.
So plugged into the 120 volt wall outlrt at home, at home it use 120
volts at 0.2 amps = 24 watts. (120 x 0.2 = 24).
So you would need an auto inverter that will supply 24 watts at 120
volts with input from a car battery at 12 volts.
Just for the record it will draw a little more than 24 watts from the
car battery because of the slight inefficiency of any device.
Even if that is say 30 watts, no matter. That's less than 3 amps drain
on the car battery; probably about the same as leaving on the parking
lamps! (12 x 2.5 = 30 watts).
Have seen small inverters in auto parts and big box stores. To run a
glue gun inverter does not have to be anything elaborate.
Don't try to plug in anything too big to a very small inverter though.
Someone here tried plugging in a toaster oven; probably around 1000
watts, into their auto to 110 volt inverter for their low power lap-
top that hardly gets very warm (nothing close to 1000 watts!) and then
wondered why it would not work!!!!!!!!
Good luck.