Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy robo hippy is offline

Default Lathe Speed

Well, I plan to go down to New Mexico for the AAW Symposium next
summer, but don't think I can make it over to see you then. I have 2
shows in the first 2 weekends of July. I will have to consider it
though.
robo hippy

On Jul 28, 10:02*am, mac davis wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 06:54:27 -0700 (PDT), robo hippy
wrote:

You can also go with a used lathe, and some times they will come with
tools and accessories. I started with a 4 speed, with step pulleys,
and worked it to death for 2 years before stepping up to a bigger
lathe. I turn mostly bowls, and need the size, but a mini can do a lot
of things as well. There is variable speed as well, but mostly on
bigger lathes, where your speed ranges start at zero. This is really
nice for bigger unbalanced, chainsawn bowl blanks. Do find the nearest
club. My biggest learning experience in my 10 years of turning. There
are usually some mentors in the clubs, and again, you may find a used
lathe there.
robo hippy

Damn, Reed... you dug your way out of the shavings with some good advise....

I've learned a tremendous amount about turning in the last 5 years or so, from
these sources, listed by amount of help:

This group.. both here and via follow up email..
The AAW club I was in before we moved here..
A couple of Bill Grumbine's bowl turning videos..

BTW, Reed.. When you coming down??
I have a friend that owns 2 fishing boats and says that if I have friends that
want to fish or tour, he'll "make them a great deal"..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing