Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default old slate roof advice please

Andy Hall wrote:
On 2008-07-29 09:18:03 +0100, stuart noble
said:

Simon Wilson wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Simon Wilson wrote:
I have a stone built house with a (slightly leaking) slate roof
that I need to fix. The slates are held on with funny nails, and no
roof felt (it's a French thing apparently.

A couple of slates have moved but generally the wood etc. seems to
be in good nick.

Once I get the leaks sorted I'm thinking of doing something like
this: http://www.warmroof.co.uk/

Does anyone have any experience of it please?

Only second hand, and the general advice is that of all the things
you can do to make a house roof unrepairable ever again, and render
the house unsaleable, this is no 1.

It seems a bit expensive, but looks like it could/should be a do it
once and forget job. Does anyone know if diy is possible, or is it
a professional only job? Recommended suppliers?

TIA

Thanks for the advice. I think it's a resounding 'no' :-)

Except to say that a house at the back of us was done 20 years or so
ago and, although I haven't been in their loft, there don't appear to
be any loose slates. If it was, say, 25% of the cost of re-slating, I
might be tempted, but not otherwise.

This isn't really the equation, though.

It's really a gamble with the cost of a complete new roof including
timbers. Effect on saleability can't be measured. If I were a
buyer, I would either be walking away or would be wanting to deduct the
cost of a complete new roof and timbers. That would take the status
back to the point of what it would have been like if fixed properly in
the first place.

The building in question has changed hands at least twice since it was
done, and is currently occupied by a firm of civil engineers with
swanky, sweet-smelling offices, so I think we can assume nothing major
has occurred aloft.

Our house was originally part of the same property, and we decided at
about the same time that re-slating was the way to go. I don't regret
that but it does show that it's maybe not quite so cut and dried an issue.