Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default old slate roof advice please

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 18:57:37 +0100, Simon Wilson wrote:

Once I get the leaks sorted I'm thinking of doing something like this:
http://www.warmroof.co.uk/

Does anyone have any experience of it please?

Not experience but my opinion is that without any sarking water will get
in and onto the timbers. If they can't dry properly and quickly 'cause
they are coated in foam they will rot.

sarking is not for waterproofing, its for windproofing. Ive lived under
an uninsulated unsarked slate roof and it was dry as a bone, but with no
loft insulation either it was the coldest place I have ever lived in. In
winter..in summer..it was the hottest.

Get the roof properly repaired and consider lifting the slates, fitting a
modern breathable sarking and reusing the old slates. Some will inevitably
not survive being lifted but unless they are in bad condition on 10 or 20%
will need replacing.

That's good advice, if given for the wrong reasons. If you want a warm
roof, fit celotex between te rafters and board over. That IS a DIY job.