Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default Galvanized finish nails for outdoor use

"JohnnyC" writes:
Hello,
I need to nail up some exterior trim. I'd like to use my PC 16 gauge finish
nailer. The PC nails are galvanized, but on the box it says "not for
exterior use'. Any idea what I could use? By the way, should I be using a
16 gauge finish nailer for exterior trim? I use it all the time inside the
house.

Ordinary galvanized means a very thin coating of zinc electroplated onto
the metal. It's enough to keep the nails from rusting in air, or for
dry interior applications, but it will rust pretty quickly outdoors.

You should be using hot-dipped galvanized nails, which have a *much*
thicker zinc coating applied by dipping in liquid metal. If you can't
get HDG nails suitable for your air nailer, you may have to fall back on
the antique device known as a "hammer" to install them. Ordinary HDG
nails should be readily available at your local building materials
store, even the orange box variety. We just repaired a deck, and used
HDG nails for most of it.

Stainless steel nails are even more resistant to rust, but a lot more
expensive.

Dave