Posted to alt.home.repair
Dave Martindale Dave Martindale is offline

Default Dishwasher hookup leak

Nil writes:
Just got a new dishwasher (Kenmore model 665.13834) and I'm having
trouble with the water hookup. I bought the required elbow that goes
between the water supply line and the water inlet valve. I just CANNOT
get it to not leak. I think I've finally gotten it to stop dripping
from the supply-side of the joint with the use of some teflon tape, but
I can't seem to stop the leak from the valve side.

Here's a picture of the assembly (the dishwasher is turned on its side
to expose the bottom):

http://home.comcast.net/~esionder/temp/dishwasher1.jpg

I've tried two different elbows. I've tried it with and without teflon
pipe tape. I've run out of ideas. Does anyone have any other tricks for
making water-tight connections in this kind of situation?

First, take a look inside the female threaded end on the flex water
line. I'll bet that there is a rubber gasket in there. If so, you
should *not* use Teflon tape on that connection. The rubber seals
between the end of the water line and the elbow, while the nut simply
holds the joint together under pressure. You don't need Teflon tape
between the nut and the elbow, since water shouldn't ever reach the nut.
(But using Teflon tape can make it difficult to tighten the nut enough,
leaving the rubber gasket uncompressed, and allowing water to leak
between the hose and the nut).

On the other hand, the elbow to water valve connection is metal to
metal, and should have Teflon tape. It doesn't look like you've screwed
the elbow in very tight. You should tighten hand tight and then another
turn or two with a wrench. When you're done, half or more of the width
of the original Teflon tape is usually hidden inside the connection. In
the photo, assuming normal half-inch wide tape, it looks like almost the
entire width of the tape is still outside the joint.

Dave