Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default converting 110 v glue gun to 12 volt?

"richg99" wrote in
:

Probably just a dumb question..but..if the 110 v unit has a coil of
resistance heating wire..and the aforementioned 12 v unit has a coil
of resistance wire...can I calculate how much of the 110 v wire I
would need to make it heat on 12 v d.c.? i.e. can I cut it
shorter..or ....add .....more of the same wire??

There must be a number and gauge in there someplace?? ...

or...can I put a resistor into the 12 v circuit to make it "look like"
the 110 v voltage coming in.. or is that going the wrong way around?

thanks sorry for the dumb questions...but you guys know this stuff..I
don't. Rich

p.s. the 110v gun that I have here is a 40 watt gun...with two
choices..low temp ( which is what I need and use ) and high temp. The
glue they sell will melt at either temperature..

why not just buy the RIGHT TOOL for the job,a 12v glue gun?
Or buy an inverter,and then you will have it for other tools,other
purposes.

(chances are,the 110v heating element is not accessible to be modified.
Besides,if you just take off some of the wire,you lose heating power.A 12V
heating element of the same heating power will draw a much higher
current,and use a heavier gauge wire.)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik