Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie Fred McKenzie is offline

Default converting 110 v glue gun to 12 volt?

In article ,
"richg99" wrote:

Probably just a dumb question..but..if the 110 v unit has a coil of
resistance heating wire..and the aforementioned 12 v unit has a coil of
resistance wire...can I calculate how much of the 110 v wire I would need to
make it heat on 12 v d.c.? i.e. can I cut it shorter..or ....add .....more
of the same wire??

Rich-

If you only cut the wire shorter, you might get the same power on 12
volts. But with ten times the current you would burn out the wire.

Just for discussion, suppose you cut the resistance wire into 10 equal
pieces, reconnected them in parallel and applied 12 volts. The
resulting combination would draw ten times the current at one tenth the
voltage, which equals the original power. In theory it would work, but
in practice, you would need to wind the parallel wires into the original
space without any of the coils touching.

I think your best bet would be to look in the hobby shops for a battery
powered glue gun. If you can't find one, a 50 or 100 watt DC-to-AC
inverter would be fairly small, and they are readily available. The
smaller ones may be built with an integral lighter plug, so an
automotive lighter socket would be needed to use them.

Fred