Posted to sci.electronics.repair
richg99 richg99 is offline

Default converting 110 v glue gun to 12 volt?

Probably just a dumb question..but..if the 110 v unit has a coil of
resistance heating wire..and the aforementioned 12 v unit has a coil of
resistance wire...can I calculate how much of the 110 v wire I would need to
make it heat on 12 v d.c.? i.e. can I cut it shorter..or ....add .....more
of the same wire??

There must be a number and gauge in there someplace?? ...

or...can I put a resistor into the 12 v circuit to make it "look like" the
110 v voltage coming in.. or is that going the wrong way around?

thanks sorry for the dumb questions...but you guys know this stuff..I
don't. Rich

p.s. the 110v gun that I have here is a 40 watt gun...with two choices..low
temp ( which is what I need and use ) and high temp. The glue they sell will
melt at either temperature..