Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default How to deal with Mosquitoes in my lawn?

On Jul 28, 4:46*am, gpsman wrote:
On Jul 25, 3:50 pm, meatnub wrote:

I live in Southeastern Pennslyvania. My home has a decent yard and I
can't sit outside at dusk at all without being eaten alive.

There is no standing water nearby. I thought mosquito larvae needed
standing/still water to grow in?

Skeeter eggs can remain dormant for years and hatch out when
conditions are better or best. *I read not long ago that entomologists
are predicting the possibility of a bumper crop this year due to above
average rainfall in much of the country.

Anyway, is there anything I can do to reduce the mosquito population,
i.e. lawn treatment? But I have a 14 month old, so I'm wary about
spraying chemicals.

There isn't enough active ingredient in most professional grade
insecticides approved for interior treatments to hurt a fly.

Get some Tempo™ (Cyfluthrin), by Bayer, and spray all the higher
foliage around the house, and under, according to the label
directions.

You probably wouldn't want to let the kids waller in the yard where
you've sprayed, but Tempo™ is not a restricted pesticide and is EPA
approved for "crack and crevice" application in restaurants in
operation, "unoccupied" schools, hospitals and nursing homes, and on
any surface "not in prolonged contact with human skin".

I used to park in the middle of nowhere in MT during the evening
"Golden Hour" to take pictures and spray my car with Tempo WP ™ and
sit with the doors open, in shorts and a T-shirt, waiting for good
light (it will attack car wax products).

I have a pool surrounded by woods and I spray the trees and all around
the surrounding deck (I use Talstar™ and it works great, and is also
an option for you) to keep down the bugs... and the S/N ratio of
SWMBO.

Modern insecticides approved for both interior living space and "turf
and ornamental" applications (both Tempo™ and Talstar™) offer
reasonable safety and persistence, even after rains. *UV light most
rapidly attacks and degrades insecticides applied outdoors.

Always read, understand and follow all safety precautions when
applying any pesticide.
*-----

- gpsman

Please don't use MORE chemicals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW Wasps and bats both get rid of mosquitoes etc. 'on the wing'.
Just looked out this beautiful morning and some 50 or more 'midges'
were 'dancing' in a patch of sunlight among the approx 60 trees we
have planted and grown during the last nearly 40 years. And which
overhanging this approx half acre interfere with good grass growth;
intermixed with clover because it survives better and resists cinch
bugs that attack the grass!
Think I like it that way rather than sterile rectangles of grass.