Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Closing Up A Drywall Cutout ?

On Jul 27, 10:46*am, "Robert11" wrote:
Hello,

Have a hole cut in a drywall wall in bathroom that was cut to get at a
leaking pipe.
It's about 12" x 8" or so.

I guess the best thing would be to cut a new piece of drywall of approx. the
same dimensions to fill up most of the cutout before re-plastering.

But, there's no stud behind the cutout to nail it to.

So, what's the best way to close up the hole ?

Tape doesn't sound so good, as it's a pretty big opening, I think, to span
without some support.

If anyone has done any repair like this, or can offer any fairly specific
suggestions
(also, re brands of patching compound, and type to use) I would be most
appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob

Bridge across the inside of the cut, within the wall cutout with some
wood strips etc. screw or glue them to each side of the hole. If you
can get the bridging along at least two of the edges would be good;
but not essential. And/or jam some two by foyr etc, same thickness a
wall into the gap to screw fill-in piece of new wall board to.
Buy or scrounge a piece of drywall (we always keep a few bits on hand
anyway) and cut to fit cut out. Screws better than nails (or even some
glue to hold the bridging against the adjacent drywall or even the
adjacent studs!
Cos then you are not pounding nails into the wall where there are no
supporting studs.
Finish drywall by normal taping and plastering; repaint wall etc.