Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Widest possible gate?

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jul 28, 6:18 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
Picture this: An alley between a house and the neighbor's fence. 10 feet
wide with a concrete sidewalk which comes around the house. The walk's a
couple of feet wide and the rest of the alley is grass. My son wants to
place a wooden fence across this alley, but include a gate. It's at his
mom's house, so I'm just the advisor. He's talking about using stockade
fence sections.

My take on this is that the stationary part of the fence (over the grass)
will be one more thing his mother has to use the trimmer on, and she hates
the machine. Why not create one big swinging gate that can be opened flush
against the neighbor's fence during mowing? I haven't made any calls to
lumber yards yet, but could swear I've seen wooden gates that big,
probably
at farms. Maybe with a roller at the bottom to support the weight?

Or, am I imagining this?

A trimmer, just use roundup and junk the trimmer.

Roundup is not an option. This is about mechanical possibilities.