Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dr. Deb Dr. Deb is offline

Default Lathe Speed

SBH wrote:

I've never used a lathe before, but am fascinated with the works it can
produce and would like to make a purchase to learn the trade as well as
handle minor projects. I don't want to get into anything
extravagant/expensive just in case I may not like it or don't do many
projects with it. Therefore, what would be a minimum HP rating and a
decent size to start with?

Thank you

I an by nature a "contrarian" and, in that light, offer the following
advice. Go cheap on your first lathe. If you like turning, which is a
question you do not have the answer to at this point, you WILL upgrade
sooner than later, regardless of what lathe you buy. PennState has a nice
little mini-lathe and Rikon makes a nice one, both cheaper than the Jet
(which I happen to own and love). Harbor Freight and Penn State have some
HSS (high speed steel) gouges at at very reasonable price for a set of 8, I
have both and prefer the ones from Harbor Frieght.

The comment about accessories is "spot on" You two most important will be a
low speed (1725rpm) 8" grinder (Woodcraft has a nice one (or did have) for
less than $100) and a good chuck. You do not "need" a wolverine type
sharpening jig, but will probably get one in the future "IF" you like
turning.

ONE LAST AND VERY IMPORTANT ITEM

Join, attend and make friends with a local woodturner's group/club you can
find one in your local area at the following URL. If you are going to turn
this is essential. My local club is actually about 80-90 miles away. Even
with the price of gas, it is time and money well spent.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/

http://alabamawoodturners.com/

Deb