Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB[_8_] SteveB[_8_] is offline

Default Project idea

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
Next query for you guys who build decks?

I now have a sliding glass patio door to the outside. It's just
mud right now outside there and not much of a difference in level
(3 inches maybe?). Looking for something easy we can do ourselves.
Is it possible to make a low to the ground 'wood deck'? The
ground has been completely termite treated for sub-terranian
termites but that would be a concern in our area still.

What I do not want to do: pour a slab extension.

We've also considered just using paving stones (even the ground out
first of course) but a deck low to the ground would look nicer in
this setting. About 2ft out and L shaped with one leg 13ft and the
other 11ft.

A wood deck that low will be trouble in the long run. Not only
termites, but a nice place for rodents to make a home.

If you don't like concrete, check out stamped concrete and that may
change your mind. If not, go with pavers.

This reminds me of some stained concrete that I've seen in high-end
houses. They use a concrete saw to cut patterns, then spray on stain,
then cover it all with a sealer. The one I remember best was in a
multi-million dollar house, and it wound up looking like leather. Way
cool.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement