Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Todd Rich Todd Rich is offline

Default Drilling hard material

Ed Huntress wrote:

"Todd Rich" wrote in message
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Buy some solid carbide drills. They work just fine red hot.
Drill small holes and then work up - easier to work it that way.

It surprised me when the carbide end mill didn't cut, but then again, the
drill may have better edge geometry. Definately considering it, but a
quick anneal got me to where I needed to be. Thanks!

Now I'm not following you. If heating them to red heat didn't help, what do
you mean by a "quick anneal"?

--
Ed Huntress

Red hot is actually a fairly large temperature range. The dull red
temperature I was talking about probably was in the 1100-1200F range.
Glowing, but dull color and not that bright.

By 'quick anneal' I meant that I took it up above the critica/curie point
to where the steel reverted to austenite, and then let it air cool. Quick
meaning air cool, and not putting it something like ashes or vermiculite
to decrease the rate of cooling for a 'full anneal'. Sorry for the bare
bones response, but I'm camping and the laptop is running low on the
battery.