Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] Bruce in Bangkok[_5_] is offline

Default we need unions

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 13:49:04 -0700, "Hawke"
wrote:

without unions there will be no strong middle class,

http://www.unionworld.us

Must be a U.S. phenomena as there is a strong middle class in many
Asian countries with either no unions or Government controlled unions.

Do Asian countries lack businesses that exploit workers too? Because if you
know anything about the history of business in the US it's replete with
business exploitation of labor. Unions are not necessary where business
owners are fair with the workers. Our bosses have a history like our slave
owners, which is to pay the absolute minimum for labor, create workplace
environments that are dangerous and dirty, and take all the profits for the
themselves. That is why we have unions. I guess it's a workers paradise in
Asia. Like for all those children rolling cigarettes or breaking down ships
in India. They don't need a union or child labor laws, right?

Hawke

I think you first have to define "exploit workers". If you use the
usual touchy feelie statement "Oh! My God! they only pay them $1.50 an
hour, Oh! Oh!" then probably they are exploited, but if you use the
explanation "they are paid more money then they ever made before in
their lives", then I'd say no.

So define "exploited" first.

Bruce-in-Bangkok