Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Project idea

cshenk wrote:
Next query for you guys who build decks?

I now have a sliding glass patio door to the outside. It's just mud right
now outside there and not much of a difference in level (3 inches maybe?).
Looking for something easy we can do ourselves. Is it possible to make a
low to the ground 'wood deck'? The ground has been completely termite
treated for sub-terranian termites but that would be a concern in our area
still.

What I do not want to do: pour a slab extension.

We've also considered just using paving stones (even the ground out first of
course) but a deck low to the ground would look nicer in this setting.
About 2ft out and L shaped with one leg 13ft and the other 11ft.

You might look at some of the synthetic wood material like Trex and the
like. Try to adjust your deck plan to use standard lumber sizes where
possible. 8,10,12,16,20' etc. You may need to special order sizes over
12 or 16'.
You want your deck to be lower than the level of the house floor, a
comfortable step down, so that you don't have leaves and such blowing
in and/or snow drift build up if you are in a colder climate.
Google deck plans, ground level deck etc.
Kevin