Posted to alt.home.repair
Yong Huang Yong Huang is offline

Default Problem with fluorescent lamp or ballast

On Jul 20, 5:46 pm, Yong Huang wrote:
One pair of the fluorescent lamps in the kitchen stopped working. I
replaced with the other pair in the same big box on the ceiling. They
still didn't work. Then I bought a ballast from Home Depot, a magnetic
type, and installed it. One of the two bulbs can flash with dim light.
I did this before (in a different place). Replacing ballast and all
was well. But this time I'm at a loss.

Can somebody tell me how I check the ballast or circuit? I did all the
following measurements. Both ballasts are like this:

_________
Blk | | Blu
W | | Blu
Y | | R
Y |_________| R

Of all the 4 sockets (for 2 bulbs), one which 2 blue wires go in has
120V. The other 3 are 0.

This is a follow-up to my question. I solved the problem by finding
out how dumb I was. The two red wires on the ballast are supposed to
each connect to each of the two red wires in the box (I mean the box
that has the lamp sockets). But instead I accidentally connected the
two red wires on the ballast to themselves, and did the same to the
two red on the box. No wonder the socket the two red wires go in
didn't have power. It's embarrassing to admit it. But people in this
newsgroup seem quite friendly so I thouhght it a good idea to post a
follow-up. Thanks everyone.

Yong Huang