Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default Closing Up A Drywall Cutout ?

Hello,

Have a hole cut in a drywall wall in bathroom that was cut to get at a
leaking pipe.
It's about 12" x 8" or so.

I guess the best thing would be to cut a new piece of drywall of approx. the
same dimensions to fill up most of the cutout before replastering.

But, there's no stud behind the cutout to nail it to.

So, what's the best way to close up the hole ?

Tape doesn't sound so good, as it's a pretty big opening, I think, to span
without some support.

If anyone has done any repair like this, or can offer any fairly specific
suggestions
(also, re brands of patching compound, and type to use) I would be most
appreciative.

Thanks,
Bob