Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT T Boone Pickens

On Jul 26, 9:42*am, Jim Yanik wrote:
Red Green wrote :

dpb wrote :

wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:32:56 GMT, "JC"
wrote:

. * The last thing we need to do is
turn a beautiful ocean view into an industrial one.

past 12 miles,you can't see the platforms.

The discussion was about windmills, not oil platforms. But in either
case, I have no problem if they are located offshore out of sight of
land.

What about the view from the water?
We don't seem to mind turning the beach into condos and parking lots

Not to mention the 2-legged whales in droves... *

Oh, you mean the "Wal-Mart Babes" as I call them :-)

Or, what's so different to watching a multi-thousand ton ship that is
supposedly "scenic" as compared to a windmill that takes up far less
area--just that it stays still??? *It seems somehow an incongruous
argument to me...

--

oil spills are far more common from tankers than from oil platforms.
the oil platforms in the Gulf of Mexico did not leak after Katrina.

I agree with that and the point about Katrina is an excellent one,
showing how safe and clean current offshore oil can be.

Regarding the other poster's comment about watching a multi-thousand
ton ship from shore, along just about all of the NJ coast you won't
see those ships anywhere near shore. The shipping channels are
about 12 miles offshore the length of the coast. You generally only
see large container ships, tankers, clearly in the very small areas
where they come into port. On a very clear day, you might catch a
glimpse of them out at 12 miles in the distance, but if you did see
them, it's not a valid analogy to windmills. In the coastal shipping
lanes, a few ships go by an hour. In the case of windmills, we're
talking about farms of thousands of them and potentially only a couple
miles offshore, standing 375 ft high.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik