Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlieb charlieb is offline

Default Attempt 2 - Kids As Muses

Arch:

Richard Feynman wrote a great book called Who Cares What Anybody Thinks.
Figure if that was good enough for him, and he certainly enjoyed the
hell out of life, in spite of being a brilliant nuclear and theoretical
physicist, . . .

As for being out in front of you - I may seem to be receding - but it's
actually that I've stepped off a cliff - again. What I lack in turning
techniques, I seem to be able to make up for with weird trains of
thought translated into objects made from wood.

John Lucas, over in WoodCentral's turning forum, provided a link to a
guy who has taken this Food Thing to places I'd have never thought of -
a Carrot Bomb?

http://www.craignutt.com/works/sculp.html

I figure one of these Thinking Outside The Box trips - will eventually
land me in a
Padded Cell - which has some interesting possibilities for pieces . . .

I hope this Burger stuff gets someone to try doing something that
doesn't require a tremendous amount of turning skill but merely
permission to let the imagination play. Sometimes it works, sometimes
it don't. But it's always fun.

I took The Burger to my oldests birthday barbeque. The 2 1/2 and 4 1/2
year old grand kids, and a 6 year old cousin spent over 45 minutes
playing with the parts, assembling them in some pretty funny
configurations. Then two teens, 14 and 19 got a hold of it and half an
hour an "adult" horned in on them and began putting together her
burger. The parts and plate kept moving around the table for another
hour or so with people from 40 to 79 stacking the parts the way each
felt they should go. One, a vegetarian used everything but the bacon
and the burgers. Seems to strike some basic cord with all ages.
Interesting.