Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default OT; It had to happen.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 07:37:29 UTC, Rod wrote:

John Rumm wrote:
Andy Hall wrote:

Could it be that there is a more serious issue here? i.e. insuring
the van for personal use only, yet using it in connection with the
business?

Its a grey area... driving to and from your place of work is not
considered "business mileage" by most insurers.

The question I am always asked is whether I am carrying things related
to work. I always declare that I might occasionally have a disc drive or
book or something (not just my personal laptop), they have always been
perfectly content for that to be included in driving to work. They
appear to care about carrying samples, tools, and similar and delivering
items or driving to different places regularly (i.e. not usually at one
fixed place of work).

I found the difference in insurance rates for occasional 'business use'
was very small. Principally I just drive to work, but do go out and give
presentations etc. to schools and colleges, or take people to events.

http://www.diybanter.com