Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default Capacitor Value Question

"Chris F." wrote:

I forgot to mention that the customer had brought in two of these units,
one being a bit newer than the other. The other unit happened to be in
working order, so I opened it up and found a similar design with another
strangely-marked cap. But since it was working, all I had to do was measure
the operating voltage and capacitance. The voltage across it was about
320VDC, and the capacitance was just 1.18uF. This cap, unlike the one in the
other unit, appeared to be a non-polarized metal-film type. So I installed a
2.2uF, 400V metal-film cap (the closest thing I could find) in the other
unit and it appears to work.

Possibly best to use a pulse (typically polypropylene) type cap in such a unit.

Graham