Posted to rec.audio.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Sam Goldwasser Sam Goldwasser is offline

Default OK, Here Is A LONG Shot, But....

EADGBE writes:

Arfa:

Thanks for the helpful information.

All I know at this stage is that the CD will not spin under any
condition...HOWEVER, when you turn the power off, the CD will spin
maybe a quarter of a turn while the unit is powering down.

And here's a strange fact: The other day I started messing with the
player after having it sit for a couple of weeks. I switched it on
and inserted a disc. Quite unexpectedly, it spun the disc and the
disc's track information appeared in the digital readout window!

At that point I should have pressed "play" to see what would happen,
but I ejected the disc and re-inserted it. Back to square one--the
disc didn't move.

This has been the one and only time the player has ever spun a disc
since I acquired it.

I have measured the voltage coming off of the four-transistor bridge.
Whenever a disc is inserted, the necessary 5 volts appears for a MICRO-
second, and then the voltage goes back to zero.

Respectfully, you emailed me first about this player. I assumed you
had actualy looked in the CD repair FAQ. Apparently, that wasn't the case.
Instead of taking up everyone's time answering basic questions, please
go to the "startup problems" sections there and attempt to determine
exactly what it is or is not doing. Then, everyone can be of more
help.

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/cdfaq.htm#cdsup

As has been noted by others, the spindle motor failing to spin is almost
never a problem with the motor or its immediate driving electronics, but
rather with the optical pickup not getting focus lock due to any number
of causes. With your erratic behavior it could even be a something
mundane like a bad flex cable. And, it could still be a dirty lens.