Posted to alt.home.repair
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default OT T Boone Pickens

HeyBub wrote:

When did I ever say I thought you had to have windmills on the
plains? Maybe you can't read and have me confused with Pickens.

How's this for a plan: A federal regulation that says 90% of the
power
consumed within a state must be generated within the state (or
within
24 miles of the state's coastline). If, for whatever reason (worry
about pollution, esthetics, hazard to navigation, etc.) a state is
unable to be self-sufficient, it can cut back its usage.

In the alternative, a federal tax on all electric power that crosses
a state line, say, three-cents per kwh.

I'm in a state that produces about 105% of it's domestic needs (we
sell a little bit to Mexico and Oklahoma). In fact, the city in
which
I live (8 million people in the metropolitan area) has no zoning. If
someone wanted to build a power plant next door to me, well, that's
okay.

As you might guess, I don't have much sympathy for those who screech
NIMBY.

So let's see, we have a state with huge amounts of hydropower and
little population so we discourage them from selling their excess
power to the adjacent states with large populations and little
hydropower, instead encouraging those states to build their own,
dirtier power plants. Now, remind me, what was the benefit of your
plan supposed to be?

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)