Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Need a new porch light fixture. LEDs ready yet?

On Jul 26, 7:23*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 25 Jul 2008 05:39:55p, Nate Nagel told us...

The light bulb in the fixture on the ceiling of my front porch died last
week; I tried to disassemble the fixture and find that it will take
destructive measures to get it apart.

First of all, I'm having a hard time finding an outdoor light fixture as
low profile as the one that's there. *There's only maybe 6" or so
between the ceiling of the porch and the top of the screen door.

Secondly, I was wondering if LED lights would be suitable for such an
application, and if so, any specific recommendations would be
appreciated. *I feel kinda guilty leaving a 25W incandescent on for
hours just so I can see the doorknob if I come home late at night.

nate

Here's an example of what might work. *Even if you can't fit the light
sensor in the housing, you can certainly reduce the wattage by using a CFL.

* * * * * *http://tinyurl.com/5h3f7r

Are there any CFLs on the market that don't suck for outdoor
applications? *The last ones I tried, about two years ago, took forever
to warm up, and I hear this as a common complaint.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

HDs are fine I have about 15 outside, a 9w equal a 40 watt bulb, HD
has 14w on sale for only .72c each in a 4 pack, get the soft white
ones.