Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TwoGuns TwoGuns is offline

Default Recycler pays less for die cast Aluminum. . . why?

Last month I bought about 50 damaged computer hard drives from a local
computer repair shop. I salvaged the magnets, motors and assorted
bearings, nuts and screws. The cases and circuit boards were loaded up
to take to a local metal recycler. I had called them before the trip
for a price check. They were paying $.68 for Aluminum unless it was
die cast. If it was die cast Aluminum the price was only $.34. Of
course when I get there they say it was all die cast. It was too
damned hot & humid to argue and I sure as hell didn't feel like taking
the junk back to the shop so I let them take it. Just for future
reference what is the difference between die cast Aluminum and the
higher grade and how can I tell? I had hit the tops of several cases
with a grinding wheel and if it showed shiny and bright I figured it
was a higher grade. What I assumed was die cast had a dull finish when
hit with a grinder. I know they are full of **** at the recycler but I
didn't have enough information to make my case.

I was surprised at the price they paid for old circuit boards ($2.40/
pound but it takes a lot of circuit boards to make a pound of them. I
do have a nice assortment of small bolts & screws though. One of them
was a perfect fit in a pair of old eyeglass frames I have on hand.

DL